HDD Serial Commander & S.E.C.T.A.
- HDD Serial Commander is an universal utility to control and edit firmware on Seagate, Samsung and Toshiba hard disk drives via a serial terminal (diagnostic) port.
S.E.C.T.A. (SgtF3 Error Code Translator & Analysis) is an app to translate error codes on Seagate F3 drives.
HDD Serial Commander communicates to a hard disk drive via a terminal or diagnostic port while S.E.C.T.A. is there to translate some
- of the error codes you get on Seagate F3 drives. This may seem like nothing new. Other utilities such as Putty or Hyper terminal do the same thing. Yet with time the diagnostic port has seen great improvements with its capabilities and a simple terminal emulator is not good enough anymore.
Updated Feb 22, 2020 – 27 users upgraded. Login to check added benefits.
What Makes This Utility Different?
When we first started working on this project we wanted to simply create a list of available commands and have them issued with point and click method rather than typing the full command. Over the next almost 15 years we kept adding more and more details and options. HDD Serial Commander attaches to an existing serial COM port which corresponds to an existing USB-Serial (TTL) or a simple RS-232. In most cases we used Arduino UNO or Arduino MEGA. It also works with any other USB-Serial hardware (PC3000, MRT, Dolphins, etc.). The diagnostic commands are translated to “human” form and divided according to their levels. Commands can also be queued and then executed.
THIS IS NOT A DATA RECOVERY SOFTWARE ! ! !
THIS IS NOT A HARD DISK REPAIR UTILITY ! ! !
Commands Translated to Human Form?
With our outstanding user interface commands are sorted in an advanced data grid and grouped by descriptive levels.
- Dynamic search by various command properties, filter out as you type;
- Command usage info, appears by double clicking on each command. You get the whole command properties as tool-tip over the GO button;
- Simply drag Command from the list to the Command QUEUE and double click to open the Command Builder;
- Command Builder has extended description, all command properties are listed as separate Attribute Builder data grid.
- Attribute Builder – lots of properties have multiple attributes that can be used as value. We extended the attribute information with additional description of that value. With check box next to the attribute it is now easy to select specific value for a command attribute
There are many ways to contribute! This project is not here to make us millionaires. Recommended contribution is the number we got as minimal and it based on number of active users (Feb 22, 2020 – 1418 users and 61 contributors). Recommended contribution of $50 will help to keep us busy. Goal to have all Seagate Diagnostic Port Commands translated. As we more or less continuously translate more commands we keep updates coming, host running, wiki, Q&A etc. If you see yourself being involved into growing our community and share/learn more about serial diagnostic (terminal) commands frequently locked or disabled, answer questions and keep wiki going then our recommended contribution is simply a suggestion. Feel free to change the amount or contact us.
Keep in mind only contributors have access to downloads, Tips&Tricks, access to the latest version as long as this project is active.
HDD Serial Commander premium version includes: Utilities, Actions, Read write FID for Seagate and more
Command Queue is available in demo version. However, you cannot save your command chain
Serial Terminal for sending commands
HDD Serial Commander premium version comes with: Utilities, Actions, Read write FID for Seagate, More
Commands Queue are available in demo version, but you cannot save your command chain
Serial Terminal for sending commands